Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the hardest part

The other day my brother Logan and I had a gchat conversation about sad songs versus happy songs. We agreed that there is something mighty powerful about the sad and that break-up songs probably take the cake in awesomeness. Logan brought up that even once those feelings are gone, hearing the music that was the soundtrack to your heart breaking will still make you stop. Not in a depressing way, but more that it speaks of the power of a great track...you feel alive at the very least in those moments.

I started thinking that I totally have a particular song that seems to sum up near perfectly a specific relationship from my past. And that's pretty awesome, I'm actually pretty proud of that because it makes me think if ever my life was turned into a series on the WB (CW now, but it was the WB in my Felicity and Gilmore Girls days so it will always be the WB to me), I would totally have one of those scenes where me and guy are slow motion walking away from each other, or one of us is getting in a taxi to fly off to Europe or something equally as final feeling (also I would have long flowy Jessica Simpson hair). And you as the viewer, your heart would be breaking cus it's slow motion and cus holy crap! this song is playing and it's just killing you that this is happening.



Because you, you were the one who just wanted those two to work out so badly since you'd invested one hour every Wednesday night for two years and this was the on-again-off-again relationship you were sure was going to work out! But man, when Ryan Adams starts and you hear "you and I used to shine like a jewel" you'd know...you'd just know that the the writers had been planning on doing this to you all along because the song so perfectly fits the moment that is summing up the whole damn thing. And after this amazing end you'd call your sister who was sure from the beginning of the series it wouldn't work, and you two would talk for a silly long time about a TV show. But it would be worth it.

And the real life version is worth it too, I'm a big believer in that. So besides my perfect Sweet Illusions, here are seven others that are sad and favorites and Ryan Adams. Listen closely, those lyrics they'll make you thirsty...

6 comments:

i i eee said...

It's funny how the happier songs are harder to listen to sometimes. Especially if it's tied to a failed relationships. But breakup songs... something different there.

k8 said...

uhhh, how do i not know this song???

heather said...

So I think your job should be choosing the music for tv shows and movies. The soundtracks would be sooooo much better and worth listening to!

i i eee said...

Um, I love the new banner and profile pic. Bah!

CoCo said...

Ems - was your new profile picture inspired by Morgan?! Be honest! :)

Twinkie said...

i have this relationship with damian rice songs. will we ever get to the point where we can listen to songs that bring up past memories but without the heart ache? i'm waiting for that day....