Wednesday, September 17, 2008

drive on

Last night I stayed late at work to finish up a take home text for my Evolution of the Human Diet class. By the time I was done, it was dark and I realized my bike blinkie light is currently dead (cus maybe when I got it I forgot to turn it off for 4 days). I called my dad to see if he could haul me to the train stop since Murray in the dark with no light seemed not so smart. En route to the station he said he could just take me all the way downtown, he just wanted to stop at a gas station to get a drink first. It was 9:00, he wasn't expecting my call, and now the round trip would take about 45 minutes.

But then I remembered my dad is a take-a-drive kind of guy. Trips to the grocery store have always been the long way there and back. The cure for middle child self-pity usually involved a ride with him on an errand somewhere and there was often a gas station treat involved (if I played my cards right and appeared really wounded). So last night, as a 26 year old, it felt so comfortable to sit in the front seat with my head out the window while my dad drove me home. I figured that as much as anything explains why I love a car full of friends and a drive up a canyon or why I'll circle the block a time or two when I'm not quite ready to get somewhere.

My mother shines through in my face more and more, and I hear her words about half the time when I open my mouth. I've never wondered about what has shaken down from her to me because I see evidence everywhere...but it's nice when I get to catch a glimpse of my dad in the mix too.

7 comments:

Megan said...

My dad is exactly the same. His idea of time well spent is a nice drive. And I was always the kid who'd go along. To the hardware store, to the grocery store, around the lake birdwatching, up the alpine loop. Anywhere he wanted to drive I was up for sitting shot-gun. And i often find myself wasting gas just like that.

And from what I know of your mother...you're super lucky to be just like her.

Greg and Jayne said...

What a lovely post! I love it and I'm sure that nothing could please Dad more.

Twinkie said...

both my parents are like this. sunday drives to the monastery were traditions of my childhood. and of course any sort of drive involved stopping to get a treat - which meant a big hunk or rocky road candy bar for me.

i think its great that your bike light didn't work yesterday.

JC said...

I can think of worse things than looking and sounding like your (totally awesome) mom. You could look and sound like Amy Winehouse.

k8 said...

beautiful post ems.

and jeff, you made me laugh out loud. no one wants to look and sound like amy winehouse.

Ireland Fam said...

Everyone ran and hid from my dad when it was time to take a trip to the dry cleaners. It took away an hour of your life with no radio. Now I'd give anything to make that trip with him. I even find myself enjoying a silent car ride every now and then.

Amy Whinehouse has a grammy or two and a lot of money. I could think of worse things then sounding like her. Like maybe Gilbert Godfrey? "I think I'm gonna die from NOT surprise!" Forgive me, I watched Aladdin today with my son.

Ems said...

ah! amy winehouse...great jokes people.