Wednesday, October 8, 2008

make it happen

The summer of 2005 I lived in a house on Wood Avenue with a bunch of friends. I like weather appropriate music so I made a couple of summer mixes for my housemates entitled, Woodhouse Summer Shuffle Days '05 and Woodhouse Summer Shuffle Nights '05. I included songs by bands new to me I had seen recently like Bloc Party or United States of Electronica as well as a slew of other crap I was listening to right then. Roommates of both sexes seemed to enjoy. By the fall I had moved downtown and was falling in love with a boy from Minnesota. Van Morrison and Andrew Bird and The Magic Numbers were the soundtrack of that time and my cleverly named autumnish mixes, A Downtown Fall: School Days and A Downtown Fall: Long Weekends were loaded with those guys. I distributed the CD to new roommates, old roommates and a handful of other friends.

A trifecta of seasonal mixes was completed that next Valentine's Day when I decided to make yet another mix. This time it was intended for my circle of girlfriends who were surprisingly mostly single and I snuck around the night before placing them on cars and in mailboxes. I made a pretty case and named it i. love. you. And I gotta say it was good cus there was a The Knife sandwich with Whitney Houston and Willie Nelson on either end.

I have been up and down at keeping up the three mixes since then, but I do always hit up at least the Valentine's and another season. And I try to stay in the habit, because even if everyone I give them to were to immediately throw them out the window, the mixes still have an important record keeping purpose for me. I have never been a good journal writer, but the minute I listen to one of these CDs it's like a little time capsule bomb of my life explodes. I am taken right back to the people and things and experiences of that season and the ghost of Emily past.

So I finished my (late) fall mix last night. It's influenced by a summer of new people and places. I think it's a good one for wearing jackets buttoned up and the last few weeks of outside weather.

I started this little blog in February. I put a site reader on it in March. Taking into account my hits (I thought I took off my IP addresses but they seem to have been showing up lately), this little lady reached 10,000 hits sometime in early September. In celebration of me BEING SO POPULAR!!! I figure I'll send my baby out (in the real mail) to anyone who wants it. It's my thanks to you for indulging me and my habit of talking about my siblings and TV so much.

Just send me your address, I'm ejcliffordatgmaildotcom

15 comments:

Damian said...

your mixes are some of the best things to hit my ears. I'll save you some postage if I don't have to email you.

Bret Baker said...

oooooooooo the bakers want one

1613 alameda ave #2
alameda, ca
94501

k8 said...

mmm, downtown fall is still one of my favorites. and it was that valentines mix that made me love dolly parton again.

Katie Elaine said...

i want one! ima send you my address. thanks! and thanks for talking so much about tv and your siblings. i always enjoy.

CoCo said...

I just threw the "happy just to be with you" mix back into the rotation yesterday. :) I'm sad I wasn't always included in the distribution, but feel privileged to have collected the ones I did thus far.

Dainon. said...

I member getting at least one of those. It made my memories get all warm just now thinking bout it.

The Funderburks said...

You should totally do the clipboards. They are so fun and FUNCTIONAL. I also saw in a Martha Stewart Magazine that you can make like 6 in coordinating paper colors/patterns and hang them on a wall as a an project organizer (one clipboard for scouts, one for home decorating, one for bills, etc). Kind of like this http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/pegboard-helper?autonomy_kw=clipboards&rsc=image_2 but that isn't as cute as the one in the magazine. I loved your dish towel stamping project. I want one.

k8 said...

hey emily, is the title of this post a MARIAH CAREY SONG???

Jen and Joe said...

I would love one my friend, you are always so much fun.

Jen Demke
Po Box 678
Washington, Utah
84780

aka: jen maahs

Ems said...

katie it is NOT a Mariah Carey song, it's one from the mix. I don't begrudge anyone who listens to her but I most definitely do not.

k8 said...

well you never know. that song is on my running mix because you know-it inspires me that once mc had no shoes but now she has like 200 pairs.

Meikel said...

Oh yes please. You know the General Store is filled with the sound of your mixes!

mike m. said...

um, you're so cool. and I want one.

1099 S 800 E #2
SLC, UT 84105


thanks. you're the bomb.com

(this is katie)

Kristalyn said...

I would love a copy, if you're still making them! I read your blog lots, just don't comment very much! :)
9631 W Chatfield Ave #E
Littleton, CO 80128

-Kristalyn

marlamuppets said...

so i just got back from israel, and i'm reading some of my favorite blogs, and of course yours was at the top of the list. and you were falling in love with a boy in minnesota! well that's where i live. so how funny.
i'd love a cd. how cool are you.

marla
834 gannon drive
shakopee, mn 55379