Friday, October 3, 2008

the next movement

A few weeks ago I was driving home from somewhere and a thought came to me. If the world exploded and the only survivors were my siblings and their spouses (and little Morgan!), then I feel confident I could live out the rest of my days happily.

And I believe that to be true in part because for the past 8 months little brother Logan and his bride Kristen have been living on L Street, just a few blocks over and up from me on E Street. They are as into fun and food as I am so there have been all sorts of weekday dinners and Saturday afternoon bike rides to Hatch's and Friday nights hitting up the W for dancing. And then of course there have been the times they come over simply to hang out...and also when Logan needs the internet. But it's been a delight and I suppose when they moved nearby I had assumed the young and terribly social pair would be not so interested in spending so much time with the old maid older sister. Luckily I'm an awesome old maid, so its worked!

But Logan and Kristen announced recently that a great city planning job in Cache Valley had been offered to Kristen and that it would take them there indefinitely. I found it created quite mix of emotions swimming around my stomach. First and foremost, wow what a great opportunity for Kristen and her budding urban planning career. And um, it's no secret that Logan is pretty much my favorite place, so adding these two more favorites seems like just the perfect reason to get up there more. Plus it's like only an hour and a half away for heaven's sake. But after Logan told me I still found myself on the phone with Tasha, both of us convincing each other that it was okay to cry a little.

And I think we felt that way because Logan and Kristen are a gem of a couple. Logan has long been the Most Fun Clifford and has proven that title over and over in the course of his life. But if there are two people who make partnering up seem more appealing looking I'd like to meet them. Logan is the kind of person who inhales life so intensely, that around him, you find yourself breathing deeply in hopes of getting some of that vitality into your own blood stream. Kristen is a fantastic compliment to it, often taking the responsibility lead or dishing out sass to him when necessary. She's creative and classy and kind as can be and it is an absolute pleasure to have her as an addition to our family. I love that they often left my house at midnight only to make a stop for some movies and treats before they spent the rest of the night laying on their living room floor watching whatever Blockbuster had to offer. Or that just this week I got a text telling me that a raspberry shake craving meant they had taken off to Bear Lake specifically for that purpose. Their excitement to live is infectious and though it lives only an hour or so to the north now and has only been that way a week, it is still terribly missed here.

4 comments:

Dainon. said...

Um, they sound so cool that I want to be married to them. Or, barring that, adopted as one of their own. You ready for a new nephew?

Okay, that was weird.

marlamuppets said...

oh :( i'm sad that your sister is leaving. but, like you, logan is my very favorite place is the whole world and when autumn comes, i just want to run there. all the way from minnesota. lucky you get to visit!

k8 said...

i miss them and i don't even live there. beautiful post ems.

Greg and Jayne said...

does your mom have to be in the explosion?