Wednesday, May 14, 2008

great expectations

I just finished this book this morning.


The last semester of my junior year our final reading assignment was to choose a book from a list Ms. Helotes gave us. Catcher in the Rye was on the list and I figured I'd get to it eventually so I choose This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff instead. I fell in love with it, so I'm glad I read it, but I can't believe it's taken me almost ten years and a book club to finally get to Catcher.

I loved it though, I thought Holden Caulfield was maybe overrated as a character when I started, but that kid...he killed me!

Who else has read it?

8 comments:

Katie Elaine said...

I love the Catcher in the Rye. I should re-read it. And I just read This Boy's Life last spring for a memoir class and loved it, too! Yay for reading and good books.

Kylie said...

I love Catcher too! Such a great book! I haven't read it for like 10 years though so I should also reread it. =)

Brittany said...

I haven't read it, but really should. I did however, just read To Kill A Mockingbird and loved it. I don't know what crap I read in high school (mostly mystery novels I think) but somehow I missed so many good books, and need to read them now. I will have to put this one on my list!

an illdressed foolishwise said...

Yes, I have read it a few times. You need to read the rest of Salenger.. seriously!!!

Read 9 Stories
then Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenter & Seymour an Introduction
Then, Franny and Zooey.. that MUST be the order..

love salenger and i want to name one of my sons Holden.

heidikins said...

I read this for the first time a few months ago, and while I appreciated the new genre-ness, and the neuroses of Holden, I didn't love it. Enjoy it? Sure, but I didn't love it.

xox

heidikins said...

I read this for the first time a few months ago, and while I appreciated the new genre-ness, and the neuroses of Holden, I didn't love it. Enjoy it? Sure, but I didn't love it.

xox

Ems said...

hmmm...interesting. I wonder if I liked it so much because I really related to the things Holden said and felt? I'd like to read more Salinger because I'm interested to see how he writes other characters.

Whits said...

I love franny and zoey too! Try that one on for size. Catcher in the Rye is awesome.