Tuesday, May 6, 2008

so fresh and so clean, clean

I love to shower. If logistically possible and if the earth wouldn't hate me for it, I would take three, thirty minute long showers everyday. I'd wake up and take one. I'd take another after work and then the last one just before bed. Sometimes I'd add a fourth in the middle of the night so I could fall asleep wrapped in a towel for a few hours until it's time to shower again. And it would always be cool enough outside that a really hot shower feels right. Like the kind of hot that you have to leave the door open for so the steam and condensation don't make you pass out, and hot enough so your whole body turns pink and stays pink. I like to shower with the lights low or off, to just listen to the water falling on the different surfaces- the wall, the shower curtain, the bottom of the tub.

I like that in the shower there are only so many things you can do, only so many ways to get distracted so I find it's a clear time to think. I do lots of writing in my brain in the shower or work on articulating feelings or having conversations. And for all the feeling productive and effective that can be done with all the body/hair/face washing and leg shaving, I love the most to just stand under the shower head letting stress and sadness and worry drain right out of my shoulders and back as the water hits my body. A disappointing day or a worrisome week seems not so impossible to face in a clean, warm body. A tummy ache or a head cold are comforted and cleansed through shower steam.



And in my never ending love affair with my apartment, I love my shower. While it's maybe not always convenient with guests, I love the little Jack-and-Jill bathroom in my apartment that is sandwiched in between my room and Naomi's room. Because a shower after midnight with lamp light and music floating in through the open door and my bed waiting for a tired to crawl inside it is reason enough to live if you ask me (that and 30 Rock of course).

6 comments:

CoCo said...

So the part about leaving the door open so you don't pass out made me laugh. Out loud. Really out loud. Obviously I've experienced that before.

I'd like to leave you with an amen. I am ALWAYS more comfortable in the water than I am out of the water. I am also the annoying tenant that when hunting for a new abode asks "how's the water pressure?". I used to feel like that was an awkward question, but now I feel like it's intelligent.

k8 said...

we must be sisters or something. it changed my life when i started showering at night instead of the morning because i can truly savor it...i would stay in there all day.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Wow, Em, you can really paint a picture. I love reading your blog. I am totally a shower person too. Sometimes I will just sit down and close my eyes in the shower while the the water hits me. How relaxing! BTW I've started watching 30 Rock a little. It's pretty funny!

Tracy said...

Emily you've inspired me. Last night from about 2-3 in the morning I could NOT sleep and just felt all fidgety and uncomfortable and generally wrong about the world. Then I remembered your post and the idea of getting up in the middle of the night to take a shower and fall asleep so blissfully for a few more hours and it was magical. First of all there was just something so mysterious and lovely about being in a dimly lit shower at 3am, but more importantly it gave my body and soul exactly what they needed to truly be able to rest. I think that sleep from 3:45-8 this morning was the best I've had in years.

Ems said...

so glad to be in the company of other marathon showerers ladies...

k8 said...

showering at odd hours or interesting places is also so awesome. i really miss the little outdoor shower i had in california.