Sunday, March 2, 2008

keep calm and carry on

About a year ago I ran across this blog. There used to be less going on (sometimes style blogs feel like THEY'RE YELLING AT ME with all the pictures and boxes and links and such). But even though she's shifted and changed the blog, I've always enjoyed her photos and taste and approach to style. Some time ago she posted about a poster and then shortly thereafter started to sell it on Etsy. I love it because it's a reproduction of a poster that was originally posted all around London during World War II. That history is meaningful, it's message is nearly perfect and the simplicity of the design and font is beautiful...all great reasons to have something in your home. Plus, Victoria prints them at a size that fits a particular IKEA frame, so it's possible to have it nicely put together as soon as the poster comes through the mail (since my mom owned a custom frame shop for years and we could frame even like gum wrappers in expensive mattes and frames, I'm pretty particular about it all now). I kept intending to buy one, but my sister Katie finally took charge and gave me one for my birthday in January.



I hung it in the dining room and though it's higher than I normally like pieces to be, I like it there because it has its own clean space to stand out while still connecting with that shelf and the rest of the room. And all that green...I could live in a world of just that green (not really). But it is definitely my favorite thing right now.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

I love our house.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

I think it may be my favorite part of that room! It really is fantastic.

Megan said...

Oh I've been wanting one of those prints for a long time. I'm secretly hoping that Dan is getting me one for my birthday. But I'm sure he's not. Anyway, its looks amazing. I wish I could have a framed gum wrapper. really.

k8 said...

emily, everything you do is cute.

Leslie said...

ooh..i love that poster. I need one! it particularly applies to motherhood. an adventure i've just begun. etsy rules. (i'm a friend of naomi. hope you don't mind me peeking at your blog)