Tuesday, March 25, 2008

time stops

Last week was Spring Break which for me meant no classes, just work. My quick trip to California came at the beginning of the time off and once I got back I had 5 days of working without the nagging of school work in the back of my mind which was lovely. As the week drew to a close though, that terrible feeling of having to return to a load fuller than full snuck up on me and felt really heavy.

On Saturday, aka my last night of freedom, I had plans to go to the José González concert I'd been looking forward to for a while. I had a full day with roommate birthday activities and party preparation so I made it to the University of Utah Ballroom just before he went on. Chairs were set out on the dance floor and people had turned the couches from the nearby study area toward the stage for more comfortable seats. José González came out on stage alone at first and played a bit by himself. The lights were soft and colorful and illuminating him from behind. Occasionally those lights projected shapes onto the ceiling all around the giant ballroom chandelier and looked particularly beautiful. Eventually two others joined him and their voices and instruments perfectly complimented his for the rest of the evening. For me, not only was it great music but the performance was reassuring somehow, like taking it all in made me feel peaceful enough not to worry for a bit.

I had a nice Easter the next day with my family, though Sunday night I didn't sleep well with the anxiety of Monday invading my subconscious. But as is usually the case, yesterday came and went smoothly and the reality of life is that it comes day by day and not all at once as I had convinced myself it would. And all day I knew that when night time came, I was going to see Explosions in the Sky who is a favorite and a band I seem to listen to a lot these days.

They were absolutely charming in their appreciation and conversation with the audience and when they were playing it was like all of us were in on something really personal even though there we stood in a venue full of people. None of their songs have any lyrics but those four guys just produce so much intensity it's breathtaking. And as I had felt calm at José González, I left Explosions in the Sky with a kind of composed resolve about the rest of this semester.

I don't put that much stock in every band I see of course but there is a kind of sound that is quiet enough to be a peaceful companion yet powerful enough to command your full attention and I got to take it in twice in the last few days.


It's my top because it's so awesome
and this is just a favorite.

3 comments:

k8 said...

while nowhere near as calming as jose gonzales or eits, i finally got my butt to a show on monday night and remembered how much i love the feeling of music music everywhere. The Raveonettes were just what the homesick doctor ordered.

Julie Knowlton said...

Dearest Emily,

You are darling! I have not talked to you in so long...I think since your farewell! Your blog is so fun because you are such a creative writer. Good for you. And hooray for blogging.

Go Colts,
Julie

P.S. I love Explosions in the Sky!

Dainon. said...

I looked for you @ EITS ... but mostly I just stood in awe and waited for those beautiful moments where the calm noodling would pause and shift hard into the crunchy stuff. Over 'n over. Loved that so much.