Friday, January 23, 2009

thought I'd have learned

If you know me in real life or have read much of my blog then you know I have some issues being a 26 year old college student. Not a 26 year old grad student, a good old fashioned, bachelor's degree seeking undergraduate student. Also I turn 27 next week, so really I'm a 27 year old college student. I sit in classes with 19 year olds. I study with friends younger than me working on masters degrees or barely older than me finishing up doctorates. And yes, probably it is a bigger deal to me inside my head than to anyone else.

However, it is all only amplified when on the first day of my Cultures of Africa class my professor hands out a map and informs us that the first quiz will be filling in the names of all the countries in Africa. Oh, hello 5th grade geography.

The wound is deepened though when I look at the map and realize I didn't even know there is a country in Africa called Burundi (but there is and it's just south of Rwanda in case you are wondering).

I of course turned to the internet for study help and ran across a site I remember a friend sent me a long time ago. It's both sad and awesome at the same time. Sad because if you're like me, then you'll score really terribly on all of them, especially when you do Europe and think it's going to be easy but then there are all those weird Eastern Europe countries. But it's awesome because you can learn.

So try Africa and if you score well I will give you a star sticker before you go to recess.

6 comments:

Lizbot said...

I graduted with my bachelor's at age 26, not too far off your mark. So, you're not alone.:) Besides, it's never too late to get your education! God Bless the U.S.A.

Meikel said...

So, I have been in school long enough to be a surgeon and I still don't have a Bachelors in anything.
And I think you are great company to have in the over 25 and still in undergrad group!

Katie Elaine said...

that would have been the best first day of class ever! the hours i have spent playing geography games would have finally meant something. graduating is totally overrated anyway.

Lee said...

28: not graduated.

I took Cultures of Africa when I was 23, though. Two words: female circumcision. I might have misspelled one of those two words.

Ems said...

well I suppose I'm in great company with other school oldies.

and katie didn't you or judy post that game originally on swab anyway?

Jillian said...

I graduated many moons ago and once thought that I was pretty savy of the world and all it's nooks and crannies.

I am ashamed to share with you my results. Very ashamed.