Thursday, January 29, 2009

teenage lobotomy

So my morning class got out early enough today that I decided on my way to work I had enough time to stop and get a soda, since we are tragically out of Diet Dr. Pepper at my office right now. I of course decided to stop at Sunburst, the gas station of my younger years, located pretty much in the parking lot of Cottonwood High School. Not only is Sunburst the station probably most frequented by Cliffords throughout time, but it also has Diet Dr. Pepper in the fountain machine AND offers paper cups (because fountain drinks in paper cups is the best way to drink).

However, as I approached I saw it was swarming with teenagers, as evident by this photo I took:

High school lunch at 10:30, how I had forgotten. No bother, I don't mind teenagers!

Except when I got closer and could see them individually, I realized I was basically disgusted. Their pants were so low! Their hoodies so oversized! Their stares so blank! Their highlights so chunky! As I got even closer I saw inside was packed. The guy who works there was standing by the doors allowing them in only one at a time as a few would exit. I was so creeped out I turned around and left.

Why are they so gross? What has happened to our youth?! Or maybe, what has happened to me? I thought I understood them, I've got a 17 year old sister who I hang out with often and who I only occasionally make furious. And Janelle and I spent like 3 hours in Forever 21 on New Year's Eve buying slutty-ish teenager clothes. I thought I could connect with them! But all I wanted to do was pull up all of their pants and cut all of their hair.

So I think I'm totally going to be the meanest mom ever (and also, the Diet Dr. Pepper I ended up getting at Top Stop had to be in a plastic cup and totally tasted like soap, so whatever).

17 comments:

Naomi said...

I think that might be a full-time job for tweens--to annoy and make you feel old.

Tracy said...

Fountain sodas in paper cups are totally the most delicious! I've always wondered whether I was crazy for thinking this because does the material of the cup really make a difference? But your backing me up just confirmed that I am not crazy and it is indeed superior. Yay.

Ems said...

oh tracy it totally matters...I like styrofoam a lot too but feel bad that feeling bad doesn't ever stop me from large sonic diet dr. peppers. plastic fountain drinks are the worst, even behind plastic bottles for me.

I'm glad you understand.

*Jane Lee* said...

I think it means we're getting old BUT I also think it means that the youth of this nation have really stopped caring about fashion. I have a 17 year old sister and for the most part, she looks ok, but then every once in a while, she looks like she woke up in a gutter and that was how she PLANNED to look. It's a gross trend and I hope it ends soon. I SO cannot get into it.

Brittany said...

I'm totally with you, I just contribute it to the fact that I'm old, but truth be told I usually can't stand teenagers. What does this mean for my future with my children? Who knows!

jesse said...

I don't know if I've told you but your blog is awesome.
Keep up the good work.

Jillian said...

I'm sticking with my belief that there should be an island for them all. They can come back when they are 22ish...if they meet a minimum requirement for grooming.

k8 said...

i only like teens on a case by case basis. but your photos with the teens labeled is probably the best part of today.

Kristina said...

I wonder what any 28 year old would have thought of 15 year old me, circa 1995, looking like I just walked out of the dumpster behind Goodwill. But in 2009 I passed a gaggle of teenage girls about 20 minutes ago: jeans ripped on the butt, red bra hanging almost all the way out of a black spaghetti strap tank top (yes, it's still January), and aforementioned chunky highlights. I wondered where their parents were.

i i eee said...

Ugh. Teenagers are the worst.

My oldest nephew will turn 18 this year. He's a nightmare. Means well, but oh we all can't wait until he grows out of it.

I hope by the time I'm a mom that the clean cut preppy look will be back in. Because teenagers smell funny too. I mean, it's not like I take a shower everyday, but they should have a higher hygiene standard than myself.

Greg and Jayne said...

Oh boy, all these posts make me feel young! Because they are so right (paper cups being the proper way to drink soda included. Unless you happen to have a really great ceramic mug) and because I am comparatively sooo tolerant of the group as a whole. I've had 1-5 of them in my house at any given time for for almost 20 years. Those Cliffords were exceptional, but I spent my share of time muttering in my room with the door shut.

corinne said...

emily, i feel you. i started loathing teens a few years ago and it bewildered me! i am officially an old lady.

becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
becky said...

sorry for deleting two comments in a row. sometimes spelling is hard, okay? and i have to delete to hide the evidence.

but also, i hate teens! i'm sorry teens, but i hate you!

you know what i love, though? BABIES! why the hell do babies have to turn into teens?

aporitic said...

Just down the street from my new job is one of those charter schools. This happens to be a high school with a visual arts emphasis.

Anyhow, someimes I ride the bus to work and every now and then, I end up on the same bus as a bunch of those highschoolers.

Now, I try not to be too curmudgeonly, but I have to sit near the front of the bus and stare straight ahaead so I can't see any of them, the sight makes me cringe so. And after five minutes in the bus with them, I can't think nice thoughts anymore. After ten minutes, I have to plug my ears and yell, "nah, nah, nah," in order to keep from running through the bus and giving them all a big smack on the back of the head.

Ems said...

well but maybe if we all started smacking them all more often they would behave better? I think it's worth a shot at least!