Friday, January 30, 2009

birthday

Today is my birthday. Which I do not mention just to get birthday wishes (you should know I have already been VERY popular on Facebook and texts). But rather to say out loud to you dear internet, my birthday goal.

It is both convenient and inconvenient to have a birthday so close on the tails of holiday and New Year cheer. The inconvenient has rarely been an issue but still it's like, hi my name is Emily and if you ever date me just know you will have Christmas, Birthday and Valentine's within a six week span (which is the reason I have blacked out November - April should I ever have a wedding). Luckily I am awesome and don't care much about presents!

The convenience comes in though because I quite like that a year of me being alive coincides nicely with a year the earth has been alive (according to Christians anyway). The end of every January I get to reflect on the past year and figure out how to make the next one, and me, better. And blah, blah, blah, I have a nice life so I won't be complainy because really...it's great. I have been feeling kind of crappy though the past few weeks so when I ran across the blog of Kelly McCaleb and her 31st Birthday goal, I got really excited.



You see, she has decided that every birthday she will make that many newborn kits so some babies in the world get a nice birth day themselves. And I maybe cried when I read that idea because babies make me cry and because that seems like such a great way to contribute. So I'm going to help. I'm going to help Kelly by working on 27 newborn kits for her project. It will take the whole year and require Elizabeth and my mom showing me how to sew the simple blankets and layette gowns, but that's good. If you're interested in participating, Kelly has all the information HERE.

So happy birthday to you and happy birthday to me and happy birthday to all the babies born this year.

2 comments:

Anne said...

What a great idea! I really should do something like that for my 30th this year (yikes!).

Happy Birthday!!!

Greg and Jayne said...

I'm so glad that I had you. The world is a better place for it.