Wednesday, August 20, 2008

push and pull

Since we are now masters of eating healthy (yeah right) Naomi and I have our sights set on THE ONE HUNDRED PUSH UP CHALLENGE!!


Because I have decided to become one of those people. You know how when you're telling someone a story and you're like "I was at dinner with my friend and she had crafted a craft and baked a cake and run a half marathon all before 7:00am yesterday." And then the other person goes "oh...she's one of those people." And neither of you even really knows what that means but you understand it means something...something about that person is different from the rest of us. And it works in lots of different cases; when speaking of someone who has a doctorate from Juilliard in viola playing or someone who actually likes to eat spinach as a treat or someone who is a democrat.

So I plan to get to the 100 push up level and then I'll just break out doing them all the time in hopes someone will at some point be like "oh my friend Emily...she just does like 100 pushups all the time." and then someone else can finally say back "oh, she's one of those people."

Then my life will be complete.

Until then...I am currently topping out at 6. And that's girl style push up. It did come after I'd already done 5 intervals of 4-7 push ups but still...weak. Naomi could do 13 and do them without the series of grunts and yelps and whimpers that seemed to come from me during the set. And then also today I have been wondering if you should feel like you got punched in the ribs repeatedly? Yes? No?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing this there will be days your arms hate you. It gets better though. The worst for me was working through the pain on day 2 to do the pushups.

Granted I only did 3 weeks before my trip to Utah put it on hiatus. Need to get started again.

Megan said...

Ouch. I'm "one of those people" that thinks physical activity hurts and is thus overrated. But deep down I admire you and the rest of "those people" that do cleanses and run horrific distances and bike to work, etc. Basically what I'm saying is... its a good thing I generally vote to the left because being democrat will most likely be my only "those people" type characteristic.

Also, Morgan and you at the Wilco concert? classic. AND YOU KNIT? Emily, seriously, what can't you do?

CoCo said...

a little secret a trainer once told me: it is better to do wide-leg push-ups than "girl push-ups"; the girl ones are not bad, but you'll progress faster to an upright push-up position if you start with spreading your legs wide, instead of starting on your knees.

I just read what I wrote and I have to add "that's what she said!".

Ems said...

dwight! I'm so glad you've gone before on this journey. I will think of your strength tomorrow when I'm hating the whole idea.

and megan. I can't dive, ever remember Pervez Musharraf's name, knit anything more complicated than a baby beanie or give birth to twins, so I actually think you're the one winning at life.

Ems said...

coco, you pervert! but thanks! that's what I'll do tomorrow then.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Man, you're ambitious! I wish I could be one of "those people." I think I max out on about 5 girl push ups, and don't plan on making that number any higher, although it would probably help my back flab and butterfly arms.

Betsy said...

Steve is starting this over the weekend...maybe I join him?

Judy Neil said...

I started week 5 last night. Thing is that I couldn't even do the first set so now I am going to repeat week 4. I also found that if you spread your fingers out that makes it easier to balance out your weight. I always did girly push-ups before but now the manly ones rock my world. Here's to no relief society arms: *clink* *clinnk*