Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm always in love


My older brother Sterling is probably the number one influence on the young musical tastes of all the other Cliffords. He never pushed anything, but was always bringing great stuff into the house. Specifically, I remember one or both of the discs from Wilco's Being There album pretty much always in the family room CD player rotation when I was in high school. I wasn't super interested in it, but later on when others like A.M. and the first Mermaid Avenue appeared I started paying more attention and really actually liking them.

Time passed and one day on a campus computer at the U, I was 20 years old and ran across a review of a new Wilco album. From what I read it sounded cool and I remembered those Sterling CDs.

So I bought it. And it was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

And I fell in love with it because falling in love with inanimate objects is kind of something I do. And yes, I'm about to say something super lame about how a band makes me feel so vomit now if you want. But the truth is, that album really moved me and getting it kind of felt like a defining moment for me in figuring out some new tastes and sounds on my own. I know that sounds nerdy but I'm okay with that.

So tonight I will see Wilco for the second time in my years of loving them and it feels like Christmas Eve. I know Jeff Tweedy can be an a-hole but he is so great on stage and Red Butte is such a fantastic venue. A newer favorite, Fleet Foxes, is opening, Morgan is going to be there (with cotton in his tiny ears) and we're taking hoity-toity treats like expensive cheese and grapes. Fun!

And because I want others to experience my joy, THIS LINK IS 16 OF MY MANY FAVORITE WILCO SONGS just for you.

5 comments:

Christopher Clifford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

So I'm downloading the zip file right now. Since you sent me that mix cd, I've pretty much based my musical explorations on that. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a musical taste stealer. You're just good at finding the good stuff so it's easier to just leave it up to you. I'll let you know how I like it...Thanks!

k8 said...

i hate all of you. but hooray for morgan's first concert being so perfect.

Dainon. said...

"Airline to Heaven". That's all I'm gonna say.

goodfoodgirl said...

i can't believe i didn't make a point to ask k8 if you'd be there. duh. monday night was blissful. "your sky sure is big out here." :)