Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the future, wouldn't that be nice?

I have been thinking a thing.

There is a funny thing we do as humans which is think about ourselves so much. And why wouldn't we, because we see each other and the world and ourselves through our own eyes and brains, so I suppose it makes sense we spend so much time within our own thoughts. But I wonder, if we're all thinking about ourselves so much of the time and then still manage to occupy thinking space with all the other things there are to think about in life as well as people we care about, then perhaps there isn't much room left to think of ways to intentionally be mean? At least that's what I hope. Because I think in a little world where we find ourselves connected to lots of different people anyway, amplified with THE INTERNET where you can see all your friends doing exciting things (and crafts!), then it's easy to be totally aware of all the fun things it seems everyone but you are doing. But I think that is okay because can anyone do everything all the time? (the answer is no). Plus I think usually we're all so concerned with what we are doing that there isn't much energy left over to exclude. And if there is, well then some kind of an ass hat you turn out to be.

I for one, am not especially clever or witty. I don't have foreign adventures in foreign countries and I do love television. I buy mostly cheap shoes and all the cakes I know how to make come straight out of boxes...so I figure I'm not a particularly interesting or cool person. I think that I laugh a lot and seem friendly enough and really, really love people, so I have managed to make some interesting and clever friends throughout the years. I love my little life because I like being uninteresting and watching John and Kate Plus Eight while drinking a Big Gulp. I get to see my clever friends and my cool family with lots of regularity and I have so much fun because often we're eating food or someone is telling funny jokes and my tummy hurts from laughing. So while sometimes I have seen fun events on the internet or heard through others about fun events and felt a little sad I didn't know about it, never have I thought other people might feel the same way about me sometimes...because you know, mostly boring here.

Which is why I brought up my first point that I think people are busy enough in their own lives cultivating fulfilling relationships to spend any time making sure someone else isn't being liked; mostly people are nice and maybe sometimes forgetful. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can be a total jerk sometimes (ask all of my friends from high school about when they got boyfriends, or ask anyone who has stood in line with me at Cafe Rio), but I'm not trying to be a jerk...and my guess is, neither are you. Right?

12 comments:

CoCo said...

my M.O. is I generally like people until they give me a reason not to.

Also, this is part of the reason I'm obsessed with East of Eden; we all have a little Cathy in us, we just choose to not (or we are to busy to) let it dominate.

p.s. I don't think you're boring, but I GET what you're saying about yourself.

Tasha said...

Bingo.

Dan said...

Once I liked this girl a lot. I tried so hard to impress her by never letting there be a dull moment. It didn't work out.

I found out later that she was totally into me, and thought that I wasn't interested. I guess the "exciting" stuff is also quite surface level. It's people that we love, the other stuff is just a reason to get them to be by you. The hard part is being mormon and trying to find a good invitation substitute for "wanna go get a cup of coffee?" Slurpees have been pretty dynamite.

Sorry for the long post, but I've thought about it a lot. Guess what I'm saying is, wanna go get a slurpee sometime?

Ems said...

great ideas Corey and Dan...and I always want to get a slurpee!

JC said...

I think you give yourself too LITTLE credit and others too MUCH credit. Nobody's life is really that interesting. Do you know anyone whose life would make a good movie?

Meikel said...

Bravo.

k8 said...

i am ALWAYS trying to exclude people because i hate them. but i love this post emily. and you are much more interesting then you think-even when you watch reality tv while drinking a big gulp.

Judy Neil said...

I totally do this all the time. I sort of hate facebook because it is always showing me how much fun everyone is having without me - especially on weekends when I sit home by myself. That's when I decide to throw a party in my backyard. (shameless plug for Katie's farewell party) bring friends. everyone is invited!

Kate E. Maahs said...

well said. I've thought about this subject a lot now and again and you've said it well. I have to realize that i'm just being silly and i ground myself from the internet for a day or two...

*Jane Lee* said...

I love you Emily - you've always been one of my most favorite people from high school. I didn't have lots of friend from the good ol' c-wood because I was hardly there but you were definitely on my list. I know, we didn't keep in touch and this and that, but you're still one of my fave's and I'm glad I found your blog because I love reading all the things you have to say. Oh, I love Jon and Kate plus 8 too. My hubby won't watch it because he says it gives him anxiety. :o)

Katy and Mike said...

It's really interesting to me that you think you're uninteresting. I've always thought of you as one of the most interesting people I know. You listen to really cool music, and you pretty much always have the coolest haircut ever! I think those two things alone make you more interesting than most people!

Go Jon & Kate!

Elizabeth said...

pretty much the story of my life.
well said.