Friday, December 5, 2008

lovers in japan

It's happening tonight.

I got myself into a sushi situation and looks like this girl is going to have to face the seaweed and swallow. I think I'll stop at 5 Guys first and load up on a hot dog and french fries just to be safe, but I am trying to be optimistic.

Because the food aside, I really don't like that circus animal kind of focus...you know where you are center of attention and everyone is watching you like you're a monkey with cymbals or something. So the plus side is that I'm going with a group largely unaware of my ever so slightly picky eating habits. Which means that even if I don't have a sushi Christmas miracle, at least I won't be the elephant balancing on a tiny ball act.

8 comments:

JC said...

love that song, and love monkeys with cymbals

Megan said...

good luck.

I firmly believe that most people don't like sushi, they just eat it to be cool. A total emperor's new clothes thing. Only its eating fish, not walking around naked. It's an act though. Its all an act.

CoCo said...

one word: edamame

also, maybe try the tempura stuff, it might be easier to stomach.

good luck.

so proud of you for not saying no.

Anonymous said...

There are lots of non-fishy options!

Good luck, Brave One.

Meikel said...

You need a roll that involves tempura shrimp. And leave the soy sauce alone.

You also need to have the waiter bring to 2 things:
Spicy Mayonnaise (siracha & mayo)
Teriyaki or Eel Sauce (eel sauce is sweet & good)

Put a little bit of spicy mayo and a good helping of Teriyaki or eel sauce and trust me, each bite will be a delight.

AP said...

I don't buy into eating food that has to be masked with any type of sauce. I don't think anything should be an 'acquired taste'. It's either good or it's not, and raw fish is. not. But that's just me. How was it, anyway?

emj said...

if you have the catalina roll(no fish--just veggies) at tsunami, you will be in heaven--soooo good.

Jen and Joe said...

my advice to you would be to start off slow, and get a "cooked" or an easy one like a roll with tuna on it. I wa so afraid 2 years ago and I have eased my-self into it and now i love it.