Monday, July 28, 2008

out on the weekend

Today is day 15 of my 21 day cleanse, so I am just starting my third and final week. Blah, blah, blah, I just have some quick thoughts.

Last week proved to be more difficult than the first, I think in part because the novelty wore off and also because I felt like my body was adjusting or detoxifying or whatever it does and that made me feel not so hot...not terrible, but not awesome. Also last week was emotional for me, which I know increased my irritability about the limitations on my diet. I wanted to eat something comforting, I wanted to eat something normal feeling. But I didn't. I took a day off of work. I did yoga and I got a massage and I fixed a really good dinner for Naomi and Kent. While I think there would have been nothing wrong with going to my mom's house and vegging out or eating a chicken burrito with cheese, I am glad I didn't turn to sugar to fill up feeling sad. It felt great to stay in control and close to my emotions. And even on difficult days with this thing, it has always been a wonderful feeling to go to sleep feeling healthy and happy with my decisions that day.

I did and do feel more confident though, not so nervous walking into a store or restaurant wondering what I can't eat and paying far more attention to what I can eat...and finding it's not a pain so much as just thinking differently. I feel the treats I want are socially driven; dessert after dinner with my family or a walk up the street to Hatch's Chocolate but not so much just candy in the middle of the day. I want vegetables and garbanzo beans, it's fantastic. Friends and family continue to be supportive and ask questions and that's really motivating too.

Plus there was this on Friday night with new friends.

And this is how I woke up on Saturday morning.

And then later I got to see Merianne for the first time in like 5 years,

as well as old friends CB and Dave.

And to top it all off, Alden and Porter were violently opposed to having their pictures taken.

But twin 3 year old boys are so much fun that they make you forget about anything food related and start you thinking about the cost/benefit of getting your single-self pregnant (cost outweigh the benefits people).

6 comments:

k8 said...

i realized this weekend that my cleanse goes into my time in Utah. Not so sure how that is going to work out what with all the socializing i plan to do. but you are right, it's amazing how once you stop thinking-what CAN'T I eat, it actually gets easier.

Ems said...

you just eat at places with good options, there are plenty around here.

CoCo said...

Funny, b/c as follow up to my earlier email, I booked myself an 80 minute massage for tonight. I'd probably rather eat my weight in something like Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar ice cream, but the massage should be decent!

And Katie - there's always Trio ... lots of veggies! :)

k8 said...

i've been thinking that if i really just limited myself to the little bit of social treats and not the crap i eat all by myself, that would still be a vast improvement.

Abby Rose said...

Dude Emily.. Your hair is looooong. You are lookin gooood!!!

Jamie said...

Single-girl preggars: It's all the rage. You should do it. You would have such a cute lil' nugget.

PS I totally bought that book after reading your blog. I'm haing a hard time committing to the cleanse though.