Thursday, July 24, 2008

on a holiday

It's the 24th of July! A day that means nearly nothing to anyone outside the state of Utah, but if you are here it means parades and fireworks and forgetting about that whole separation of church and state business for a day. It's one of my favorite holidays because it's so unique to this place, such a funny thing we do, but that feels completely normal to us all; the LDS prophet in the parade today right before the governor, floats done by stakes emphasizing pioneer heritage or scriptural stories.

I love that families were camped out on the course last night and that at 11:00pm when we were riding bikes, downtown was awake. I love that today to everywhere else it's just a Thursday, but here most people have the day off and are swimming and having barbeques. I love that it's normal to consistently see and hear fireworks throughout the whole month of July and that Liberty Park will be slam packed full of people tonight for the show. I love that I live here. I love this day.

3 comments:

The Fab Fabian Life said...

I am jealous!!! My mom thought it was crazy that I had a doctor's appointment today and I had to ask why- DUH!!!

Ireland Fam said...

Rub it in. Set off a firework for me.

k8 said...

the thing i probably miss most about Utah is Pioneer Day.

They have patriot's day in New England but my big German company doesn't recognize it.