Monday, July 14, 2008

nightswimming

I have more garden photos (exciting!) but I was just cleaning out my text inbox because I stink at getting rid of old ones. I ran across one from Janelle (I promise I have other friends) and it's dated Thursday, August 16th, 9:44am and it says:

Ps, We had so much fun tho

She was referring to the night before when we had gone swimming at the house of some brothers we knew from church. We were new friends with them and a bit nervous because sometimes it's nervous to hang out for the first time with brothers who are all handsome...and it's nervous to be half naked with them when you are used to being church clothed around them. But Liz had a new camera that could take pictures underwater so with the pool slide and the camera and the nighttime, and the handsome brothers being so funny, we had a really delightful time.

But also that day, August 15th, was Jacob's birthday. He lived in the apartment above me and around that time was confusing the crap out of me because we hung out often -like all the time- but usually late at night. And while I thought I felt some vibes from him, there were no moves coming from him. So I had decided I wasn't going to make much of a big deal about his birthday even though I love birthdays and was excited for his particular birthday. Instead I made him a music mix and went about my day. Luckily cute and crafty neighbor Kate had done the cake thing and late when Janelle and Liz and I got back from swimming and stopped over, we found Kate and Jacob and their roommates laying on the floor talking. We joined in and spent the rest of that late summer Wednesday night discussing a million things and staying up way past all of our bedtimes laughing; I remember lots of laughing that night. And it seems kind of silly now maybe but I remember specifically laying there on my stomach, looking at those people and thinking about the fun from earlier, it felt really nice to have not made plans around someone who seemed only interested in me maybe...because I was worth at least a little bit of effort I thought.

I know the text I wrote Janelle was something about how I stopped for a 32 oz Diet Dr. Pepper on my way to work since I was so tired. She had replied with something about the same and then I got the postscript a second later. And she got it just perfectly right; it was a summer night gem, and we did have so much fun.



Oh and then Jacob and I were kissy-face by Labor Day so way to stick to your guns Emily!

5 comments:

Senja said...

What an awesome story. Got me some chills.

Alison said...

bless your soul. what are you spraying/dying? and how can i talk you out of it?

Alison said...

oh good! let me know if you need any 3 am help.

k8 said...

i remember talking to you that very day before you went swimming. and you were all #$@!#$%???? about jacob ; )

Kirsti said...

You have a blog?? Fun! PS You have fun memories and I have a lot of fun memories with you :)