Monday, July 28, 2008

shake it up

I keep forgetting. I don't have a recipe per sae for the breakfast shake/afternoon shake/sometime during the work day shake I do, but here are the components for something that fill a cup this size:


-6 to 8 ice cubes
-a handful of frozen berries (I use the mixed berry mix from Costco)
-a handful or two of baby spinach leaves
-1/2 a frozen banana (it makes it taste creamier since no milk)
-a small handful of broccoli...you don't taste the broccoli really, but you do get little broccoli bits in your mouth so if that texture grosses you out, I'd just omit it entirely.
-1 scoop of protein powder...I use a chocolate flavored soy protein power my friend Big Steve suggested cus he worked at a musclehead store and said it's good for a girl who is looking for protein but not looking to get huge.

After I've put in all those things in the blender I add water until it hits about the berry line and blend. You can add as much or little water as you want, it just needs enough liquid to get all that crap mixed together. Today I added rice milk instead of water, but I didn't taste a difference. It's good, I think I have a bottomless pit of a stomach cus even the massive amount doesn't really ever fill me up. But it's satisfying and a good way to get in some fruit and vegetable servings and a load of protein. Plus it take me like 30 minutes to drink one so that's good.

4 comments:

JC said...

I love The Cars.

Meikel said...

ooooh, healthy shake I will be using this lovely recipe and in exchange here is one for you:
Green Drink
1 whole banana
1 whole apple
1/2 pineapple (or less if you like)
Tons o spinich
ice
Silky tofu (optional)
and either fresh squeezed oj or h20 hit the blender and enjoy!

k8 said...

yay! someome posted the Green Drink recipe! i used to make those years ago and forgot the proportions.

Dainon. said...

Mine is similar ... only I put kale and parsley and mint and sprouts in with my spinach ... as well as pineapple juice (or spears, depending on what I have) ... no bananas or berries, though. Maybe I should try that. Supposed to have more calcium than milk.