Tuesday, April 8, 2008

faded from the winter

Years ago when I was living through a cold Eastern European winter, there was no such thing as functioning furnaces so we warmed our chubby bodies with space heaters. And there, holed up in the living room of our apartment Tasha invented the best thing ever. You get a blanket, throw it over the space heater, stick the coldest part of your body under the blanket and enjoy an envelop of heat. You'd stay like that until it got so hot you'd burn, but at that point you would just rotate to the next coldest appendage. It was brilliant.

Now, I live in a great apartment that I love in Salt Lake with hardwood floors and exposed brick walls and it has a furnace. But the windows and weather stripping are as old as the building (which is old). In the colder months with gas being expensive it's just mostly chilly inside and we still pay absurdly for it. Great! This year though, Naomi pulled out two small space heaters she had and I remembered the old blanket trick. So this winter has still been mostly cold and expensive, but at least I've burned my legs over and over.



I love it the most probably when I'm at the table doing homework (reading the internet) and I can wrap a blanket around my whole body so as to funnel the heat upward and evenly. I have overheated one of the little guys twice but nothing has ever caught on fire and we always remember to turn them off before bed or when leaving the house.

I'm definitely ready for winter to be over, but I have been thinking the last few days that I will miss my little space heater friend when the weather gets warmer (miss it until I'm lounging by the pool).

6 comments:

CoCo said...

It's supposed to be high 70s/low 80s in HB this weekend. I have a pool. Just saying ... maybe a visit is in your immediate future!!

Ems said...

you have a pool?! I didn't know! I am thinking about an early May trip...I need to call you.

k8 said...

i will not miss one damn thing about the cold. not one.

k8 said...

also i hate you two and your stupid proximity to each other.

(but i'm going to rogue wave on friday at The Paradise so there)

CoCo said...

Technically there are 7 pools, but I'm a pool snot so I only frequent the Olympic size pool with the hot tub that seats 20. I'm also a mere 6 blocks from the beach, so you don't need me to keep you entertained (translation: great to come visit me even if I have to work).

BTW - Katie you're invited!! :)

Kristalyn said...

I thought when I left Armenia that I wouldn't have to rely on space heaters for heat again. Too bad gas is so expensive...I too have been reminded of tiny freezing apartments as I use a space heater to keep our rooms warm. It just doesn't seem right that we still have to pay soooo much for our heating bill...plus the electric bill gets higher because of the space heater! You can't win! :)