Friday, June 12, 2009

swimmers

Did anyone else see this story about Photographer Damion Berger a couple of days ago on the NPR site? He took pictures underwater in Mediterranean public pools and the collection will be shown at a gallery in New York later this month.


From the article:
For Berger, the choice of black and white was key. "Without the immediacy of color and the blue hue of the water to provide context," he writes, "one's recognition that these pictures are taken underwater is momentarily delayed, [which] underscores the abstract sense of suspension, movement and reality that permeates through the series."

Beautifully said Berger, the images are fantastic. I for one am a little bit afraid of large bodies of water such as lakes and oceans (cus fish and other creatures), but pools man...pools are one of summer's greatest gifts.

3 comments:

Katie Elaine said...

oh, i love those! thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Sra said...

Very cool photos. I agree that color would only detract from their beauty, but I wouldn't have noticed that without his pointing it out.

I am also afraid of deep dark waters, because of creatures, but also because I don't know where the bottom is and am irrationally afraid of falling into the deep. I am not afraid of swimming pools, but don't particularly enjoy being wet, so I don't particularly enjoy swimming.

k8 said...

oh these photos are so fabulous. and swimming pools are the greatest..