Thursday, June 18, 2009

pounding

I really meant it when I said I'm poorly prepared for the race tomorrow. In January when we signed up I wanted to challenge myself, and assuming I would train properly in the 6 months between me and the race, I ended up with a 3 mile uphill leg and then 2 nice 5 mile legs. I'd usually rather run 8 miles that are slow and steady or flat than any distance uphill so I was excited for the challenge.

Except I mostly crapped out.

I had my last semester of school this spring and was preoccupied with that and then at the end of a too long college road I turned into a totally lazy mess in the month since school has finished. For the first time in a long time I had time to sit, weekends with no homework and the relief that I'm done. And that's been nice, but it did nothing for my training schedule.

I've tried half-heartedly the past few months, always with the worry in the back of my head that I was already too far gone to be ready. Last night I went for a final pre-race run to remove some of the anxiety I feel about staring this in the face tomorrow:

(I realize 800 feet in 3 miles is not nearly as difficult as the 1,400 and 1,600 feet Logan and Rick gain their last 3 and 4 miles respectively, but I'm a baby and they are not)

It was rainy out and quiet and I started my 6 hour long running playlist halfway in at songs I don't ever get to (I dont know why I have a running playlist that is 6 hours long...in case I have to run to Provo someday maybe?). Instead of starting in on myself for being a buttfor, I thought about enjoying it. And I did enjoy it. I realized that I have been doing some training and I could probably let my body trust it's 9 years of running to remember how to do it for a race that it's done 3 times before and always survived splendidly. And yeah, maybe this won't be my best but I'll do it and and do my best.

So I ate a cookie and ice cream when I got home because, hey! I'll be burning all those calories this weekend! And I made three separate running playlists specifically for each run because, hey! I have 6 hours of running songs that have been underused! And most importantly...I'll be having so much fun because, hey! We're Ted Danson With Wolves!

This is one of the forgotten favorites I ran across last night...

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Good luck! See you at the race.

Sra said...

I never understand people who run for fun, but... yeah, just tell yourself you're going to have fun with all those endorphins, and make that thing your bitch. Good luck.

Kersten said...

That is one of my old favorites to run to, also. Good luck tomorrow!

Twinkie said...

I used to listen to Pounding every morning for a month straight in NYC to get me geared up to do my bad reverse commute out to Hoboken, NJ. Love that song.

k8 said...

i looooove to run to that song.