Thursday, June 11, 2009

i'd like to

I've watched 3 movies this week that I probably shouldn't have watched in rapid succession. Well technically it's been 2 1/2 because I still have to finish one. But I'm not really on the edge of my seat wondering whether Isla Fisher gets the guy and all her debt paid off, you know? But since my opinion is very important, I figure I should give the internet my reviews.

This one was pretty okay.

This one was mostly ridiculous but had like two good moments.

This is the one I'm halfway through.

All three raise some question for the universe.

1) How does everyone regardless of profession have fabulous, huge apartments in big cities like New York and Baltimore?
2) Why are we supposed to believe again and again that Kate Hudson and Jennifer Aniston are high-powered women with important, smart jobs?
3) Wouldn't the world like, implode if there were as many mix-ups in real life as there are in movie lives?
4) [begin mini rant] Why are movies that are supposed to be so cute and fun have to show the worst stereotypes of women? Why do we accept that so readily? [end mini rant]

7 comments:

Sra said...

Thanks for watching these so I don't have to. I like some fluffy movies, but generally they are ones in which the female protagonist is actually smart and successful on her own merits.

i i eee said...

It's because men still run Hollywood.

k8 said...

seriously-hollywood loves to make women fall apart and turn crazy.

Ireland Fam said...

I just watched He's Just Not That Into You, this week too. Now I hear, "Is this because of that movie?" after a lot of my questions to Ben.

Kristina said...

I want to talk to you about this sometime in one of those lengthy hallway moments you and I have. Compare/contrast to this modern art display on feminism I saw at a museum recently. It's been bouncing around my head a lot.

CoCo said...

I was surprised at how much I disliked your first movie listed (not into you). Not because of examples or content. (N.B. I have read the book and totally agree with it.) What STILL irks me about the movie is the spend the whole movie teaching that "you're the rule", not the exception. AND bam! how does it end? With everyone being the exception. What was the point?

Charles said...

Confessions was unbearable for me. And one of my guilty pleasures is The Devil Wears Prada so I was sure I would like it. But, really, it was one of the worst movies I've seen in years.