Friday, July 17, 2009

the summer

My high camping/backpacking hopes keep right on rolling this summer. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy an actual pack and a sleeping bag today and there are a couple of trips in the upcoming weeks. I'm so outdoorsy!

But the major one I've been looking forward to is the Elizabeth Clifford Commemorative Backpacking Trip 2009. For Elizabeth's high school graduation Christopher has planned a (Utah) sibling camping trip and today he sent an e-mail with some generalities to discuss like food planning and water filtration. Oh yeah, and then this:


Oral Presentations

We will have oral presentations around the camp fire (or empty fire pit, depending on fire restrictions) both Friday and Saturday nights. These reports can be on any topic related to our trip and should be about 5 minutes long. If it is longer, please make sure it is interesting, if it is shorter, I will expect a fleshed out version (3-4 pages, 12 point font, single spaced) on my desk by the following Friday.

Some possible topics include:
Bear/Moose/other animal safety
Orienteering
The History of Wilderness in the US
The History of the National Park System
The Uintah Mountains
Edible Flora of the High Uintahs
Leave No Trace Camping
The Land/Wilderness Ethic
Wilderness First Aid

Be creative, pick a topic you are interested in but don't know much about so that you can learn as well.

Miscellaneous
The goal of this trip is to punch a bear in the nose. But the second goal of this trip is fun. And the key to fun is preparedness.



Why at 26 my brother is already an old Scout Master?

4 comments:

Megan said...

I've always wished to be a Clifford sibling. Now I really wish it.

k8 said...

i love that brother. he's been 42 since he was a kid.

CoCo said...

Edible Flora of the High Uintahs ...

How Clifford appropriate!! I think it's pretty safe to say that all male Clifford's should have to prepare a report on that one.

AND have the number for poison control handy.

Ems said...

oh man Corey, I totally forgot about that! You're sooooo right on.