Wednesday, July 8, 2009

on the road to find out

In case anyone in Salt Lake is wondering...the Gallivan movies are back.

I knew Sundance wasn't going to show any this year, but luckily the Gallivan Center stepped in and is showing Alfred Hitchcock flicks every Monday in July.

This may seem unconnected but bear with me for a second...Aaron and I are different in a lot of ways. Our individual tastes and styles differ but then also the things we absorbed growing up. Mostly meaning he did a lot of fun and daring things involving skate/snow/surf boards and bikes of all kinds and I sat in my room and listened to the Les Miserables and Secret Garden soundtracks while reading books (only when I was little guys, I was totally cooler than that in high school!!!!). And while our interests do naturally coincide in a lot of ways too, we are also both trying each other's stuff and it's working out really nicely; I attended my first Dew Tour last year and he went to the Art's Festival for the first time this year.

So a few months into dating I wasn't totally surprised to hear that Aaron isn't into old movies. I mean, I know not everybody planned out watching all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films with their bunch of nerdy little kids like Rod and Jayne did. But it did shock me when Aaron explained that old movies are anything made before like 1998. That surprised me because:
a) he is generally into movies,
b) he will watch boring documentaries, weird stuff or foreign films, and
c) who throws all movies older than 10 years into the same bucket of old?

So I've been wondering how to ease him into all the good that the first 90 years of film produced, and laying on the grass outside makes everything more fun. Plus I figure if old is old then I'm going to go straight to actually old. Monday's film was Rear Window, which is one of my very favorites, so even though Aaron fell asleep in the middle, he liked what he did watch. Hooray! I might get really ambitious and try to take him to The Tower this weekend cus they're playing Harold and Maude. And that means not only can I get in another great movie, but also some of the best Cat Stevens songs.

But I might not push my luck cus maybe I don't want to listen to an explanation of how my computer works. It's all about give and take right?

11 comments:

Naomi said...

The best part about this whole situation is that he'll really going along with most things if it means being able to just spend time with you.

CoCo said...

Maybe you should have watched Disturbia first (you know, since it's not old) and then watched Hitchcock's original Rear Window.

Oh and a ditto to the above comment.

Lizbot said...

Ah man. I should've known you'd be there. I wanted to go to this, but did not want to roll solo, cause that's just sad. Are you going next week?

Mimi said...

It's nice to see that you are encouraging my baby brother to try new things. He's pretty about trying but don't expect him to always like. Oh and as you know when he doesn't like he will sure let you know. If you haven't figured out yet "it's the world according to Aaron!" Bet your having a great time trying out what Aarie likes.

Greg and Jayne said...

I will never bare with anyone, no matter how nicely they ask. I don't even "bare" with doctors usually. But I will bear with you any old time. Hehe, just thought it was funny that you said bare.

And good for you and Aaron, give and taking. Best thing ever!

cropstar said...

Oh, please press your luck! Harold and Maude is too great too miss.

Awesome that you're both willing to explore each others worlds.

Callie said...

I like Rear Window as well. We watched it in my film class. :)

Tasha said...

One of my favorite things about Aaron is that he totally owns the things he likes and knows. And he is comfortable enough in his own skin to disclose the things he doesn't.

And the world should know I think you are practically perfect. So there you have it - I like you two a whole lot.

Sra said...

I always enjoyed Hitchcock, because I grew up watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and other Nick at Nite shows. Rear Window is perhaps my favorite.

But besides Hitchcock and some old musicals, I too was prejudiced against old movies. If it was black and white, or that funky technicolor of the 60's and earlier, then I wanted nothing to do with it. It was boring, I surmised.

But in the last few years, I realized that this prejudice was the same thing as if I said I hated mushrooms, but had never tried them. How do I really know?

So I started watching older films, and I've found that they can be more succinct, have better stories, be more intelligent, and just be generally better movies than a lot of the drivel that comes out these days. (There are still bad older films too, but some of them have a special charm that makes them fun anyway.)

Harold and Maude is a very bizarre but enjoyable film.

Greg and Jayne said...

I forgot to say this - I saw Harold and Maude when it was new - I went alone about 4 times. Everyone I knew thought it was weird that I liked it, but I still do.

And now I'm sorry I teased you about spelling. Eliz and I are trying not to correct the speech and writing patterns of everyone. Bad Clifford habit. Yet oddly fun.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

crap! i cannot even read your blog. it makes me so sad and homesick for a Salt Lake City summer.. i hope you are doulbe enjoying all of the gallivan events for me. i miss you.