Friday, July 10, 2009

my little town

Sometimes I feel like I'm Salt Lake's number one fan. I've never left in part because I'm boring, but also in part because I simply love it here. I love that it's small but growing, that the mountains are all around, that downtown is a great place to live and that it's beautiful and clean. And then of course everyone knows Salt Lake summers are the best because there is stuff going on all the time.

And the past few years it's been fun to watch the Twilight Concert Series grow and grow into like a totally insane series. Even though I figured it would start off OUT OF CONTROL this year with such an amazing line up, Danny and I still braved the crowds for Jenny Lewis and Bon Iver. And just when I was thinking I am maybe too old and too grumpy to be surrounded by too many people, I looked around and felt my Salt Lake pride renewed.

Because really it is awesome that bikes were piled a mile high at all the trees and fences surrounding the Gallivan and that the Trax lines heading south were packed with kids after and that you could run into practically all the people you've ever known on that one city block because we're still a little place.

When I uploaded this video it darkened up quite a bit and I'm not sure how to fix that, so you'll just have to believe that there are people as far as the eye can see (including the parking garage across the street). But what I love is that this isn't a festival or an event, it's just a Thursday night in Salt Lake.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Aw I wish I'd seen you there. From the angle and distance of your pictures it looks like we were maybe just ten yards apart. Of course that also means 650 people apart.

Dainon. said...

I feel just as you feel. Let's rock out next to each other during the Black Keys, yes?

cropstar said...

this makes me incredibly jealous and incredibly homesick. good old slc!

k8 said...

oh man, that song was my favorite part of the Boston show.

and this made me miss Utah. so much. i remember when i could just walk out of my office to the Gallivan shows. sigh.

Adam said...

We are totally ready to move back. Can you job hunt us up something good? We are on the prowl again.

Sra said...

I was there, I'm a big fan of bon iver and I looked forward to seeing them live. Of course, I didn't actually get to SEE them because there were too many people and I couldn't get close to the stage. I loved the twilight series back when there was still space to mill about. Now I find it stressful. I bet there wouldn't be nearly as many people if it weren't free, and I'd welcome that. Oh well it was my last show before moving out of Utah.

Greg and Jayne said...

We were riving through town on Thursday and it was fun to see it so lively. People were gathering for the concert and it was regular (bee)hive of activity.

AP said...

We saw Robert Earl Keene there last year. Izzy and Dylan danced all night--it was without a doubt one of my favorite summer nights.