Thursday, February 26, 2009

wake up

Alright, it's Lent season again, which means giving up a vice, which you would probably think means Emily gives up some sort of sugar.

But you would be wrong!

I was going to, but the Cadbury Eggs are too good this year. And then also in this post my brother Christopher got me thinking about something else...being lazy. That could mean a lot of things but for me specifically, when it comes to going to bed or waking up in the morning I am THE WORST.

And while I don't think you will find scripture anywhere in the Bible that says Jesus didn't sleep in until 30 minutes before He had to be somewhere, I think it's safe to say He was an 'early to rise' kind. And He probably wouldn't spend the hours from 10:00pm to too late playing PSP games/interneting and watching TLC or VH1 whilst snacking on partially hydrogenated snack foods.

So it's not like I'm ever super productive in those late night hours, but I do manage to make myself tired enough that in the morning I'm full of excuses in my head to keep me in bed.

"I'll just work out later today, after work."

"If I decide now to wear the pants I wore yesterday with the shirt I was going to wear yesterday then I can sleep for 10 more minutes."

"I don't really need to do my hair/I'll shower after work."

"I love my bed!!!"

So it is time to turn a new Lent leaf. I know I sound like a baby to the people who pop awake at the crack of dawn or to anyone who cleans the house at 1:00 in the morning, but it is going to be difficult for me.

The past two mornings have been better...I'm still not waking up at my 7:30 goal, but I'm making incremental improvements.

And last night I got to bed late but because of this:

Joel got a chin to the head during basketball so I cleaned it and made sure there weren't brains spilling out (there weren't last night or this morning either).

And then when I walked into my room there was this:

So bedtime will need some work.

7 comments:

k8 said...

every. single. morning. i think of some reason i really ought to stay in bed. i envy the true morning people but it's true that even those of who will never spring out of bed naturally at 6:00, it's true that getting to bed earlier is probably not a terrible sacrifice. good work sister.
and i'm glad joel is not dead. who would take us on scary snow rides if he were??

i i eee said...

I'm terrible with the early to bed early to rise.

Poor Joel's head! Ouch!

Ems said...

I am also glad Joel is not dead or seriously wounded...he was still able to fully participate with Aaron in teasing me about my reaction to the situation.

So you know, that's good.

Brett and Kelly Robinson said...

I have the same problem with not going to bed and not getting up... and the Cadbury Eggs!

k tron said...

i gave up sleeping in for lent. not even kidding.

lady ace said...

gross! brains everywhere! joel should give up spilling his brains all over everything for lent.

Greg and Jayne said...

Okay, I admit - I saw this post and thought I had read it - I was mixing up our conversation about giving up laziness ( per Christopher's blog) and I thought when I saw the post - Oh, I read this. But I had not, so now I know about your goal, and that Joel's blonde hair is evidently not fake - by the look of his roots.
It's a good thing Aaron was in your bed with another woman. If it were you, you'd be grounded!