Wednesday, May 11, 2011

find a way

Today is Aaron's birthday and boy oh boy am I glad he was born 29 years ago today. Thanks so much Blanca!

We of course, have yet another kid oriented party planned at an extreme sport place on Saturday night with his 2 BFs who share his birthday week (remember last year's party, and the year before?). It will be fun and the plus side of being married to someone who likes to party like an elementary schooler, is that I will know every place possible for parties when we end up with some of our own.

Sunday night I was going through some of Aaron's stuff trying to combine bins for storage. While I was slightly annoyed that he must have bought all of the native print bags and coin holders in Guatemala while he was there on his mission, I ran across a pile of non-mission related things. There were a lot of IDs from his various seasons working at The Canyons and other little memory type trinkets and then I came to this:

And it melted my annoyed heart.

I went to San Francisco for the first time when Aaron and I were first dating. Since I carried a Nalgene bottle and was into music that used guitars and like, sometimes had feelings, he always teased me that I was a hippie and because of that, said I'd especially love Haight-Ashbury (I'm actually way grossed out by real hippies). So in trying to be cute and funny I decided to bring him back the most ridiculous souvenir possible. And I succeeded!

I assumed it had been dumped in the trash a long time ago cus you know, it's a weed ashtray. But he didn't throw it away (even though he did break up with me a week after that trip), he threw it in with other stuff he wanted to remember. Finding it reminded me that I married someone who is not only positive, confident and so much fun, but who is also incredibly sweethearted. I love this day to spend thinking of him and being excited he exists.

Happy Birthday Husb!

4 comments:

Megan said...

i never thought in a million years a story about a marijuana ashtray would make me cry. I love that you and Aaron have each other.

Mimi said...

Such nice things to write about my
Aarie. Wow! 29 years makes me feel super old! I remember when he broke up with you, he called me not knowing if he'd done the right thing. Guess keeping the ash tray was like keeping a part of you. It all worked out for the best. Have a great party!!!!

us said...

I love it! Happy Birthday Aaron!

k8 said...

favorite