Monday, January 10, 2011

chasing cars

Aaron was fairly sick this weekend with what I think must have been some sort of flu. He was worse than I ever felt a few weeks ago when I was sick so I hope that marriage doesn't mean just trading back and forth various mutating diseases!


Because he was so laid up, we were pretty much at home from Friday evening up until this morning.

I usually drive myself crazy (and others I'm sure) feeling like I have to reach some level of productivity on the weekend. I work late during the week so it seems I always have a long list of 'Things To Get Done' on Friday on top of normal list things. On the flip side, weeks are so full and busy that when it comes to the weekend I often just want to relax and spend time with my husb.

Consequently, I end up feeling guilty about not doing this or doing too much of that or just generally feeling not efficient with my time. And of course, I assume I'm the only person on the planet who feels that way.

So when by this last Saturday evening I realized I had done a lot of nothing and more sleeping than usual, I started to get mad at myself for not finishing some organizing in the back room that haunts me, or dropping off a few last Christmas gifts or sending a package I've been meaning to send for 3 weeks or doing this thing or that thing, or ALL THE STUFF TO DO FOREVER.

But in a very uncharacteristic move, in the middle of my self-loathing, I told my brain to shut up. I spend most of the weekend taking care of Aaron- fixing food, washing blankets and clothes as soon as he moved or changed, running to the store for orange juice and so on. And it felt nice to be able to do those things. In the next few years Aaron and I will hopefully be adding a few little humans to our family and I'm not sure how often we'll have chances to watch a whole season of 30 Rock in one sitting (the fourth season...man I forgot all about Salma Hayek!), so I love that we can now.

Plus I did things not necessarily on my list, but that were still valuable...I spent some solid time with a new knitting project, I went to baby sister Elizabeth's first art show, and I planned out the year with my Activity Days girls. We saw Kristen and Logan for a gift exchange since we'd all spent the holidays out of town and I spent the rest of the day moving the trophy vase Kristen surprised me with all over the living room, trying to find it a home where I could stare at it as lovingly as I've stared at it on the internet for a year.





In all of it, I was reminded how much I love my home and my husband and the people in my life. So either I learned a nice lesson or I have become the World's Best Justifier...but I'll take either.

8 comments:

corinne said...

emily!!!!! great post... but more importantly, your mittens look AMAZING! i am so proud of you. i think i am going to start over and get some dpn's - have you enjoyed using them? i am so excited to see them appearing!

jess said...

it makes a little part of my heart happy that you are teaching activity days girls! Love that, I'm sure you are great at it. Your weekend sounds cozy, glad you soaked it in and glad you shared it with the greater bloggy audience! :)

Greg and Jayne said...

You could not be a better version of the grown up daughter I always thought you would be.

k8 said...

i think it's a good skill to learn to what "being productive" really is. Some weekends when I'm beating myself for not getting much done i think "oh hey full-time job, it's ok to take a weekend to relax."

Kylie said...

Hey, your mittens DO look so great! Good job! I think I need to ask you or Corinne some questions about my bonnet. I feel stuck. :)

Suzanne said...

Thank you! I'm always torn on weekends between working on my pile of things to do and just taking time to relax. I also had a very sick spouse this weekend and made mac and cheese. So we are weekend twins. Now I just need to learn how to knit as beautifully as you do!

The Funderburks said...

I feel the SAME way all the time. Guilty, frustrated that I don't get more done. Wait until you are a mom, it's even worse. I want to kick the habit and just relax with Andy and Macy more (and I know that's what they want to) but what is that about ceasing to be idle...?

Mimi said...

Good for you for taking care of my little brother. He's kinda a big baby when he's sick. Super awesome vase, you find the most unique things to love! Oh and I think Aarie passed his sickness onto baby Liv's. Feel free to come take care of her anytime!!!