Friday, July 23, 2010

fake plastic trees

Besides how much my mostly inside body appreciated our sunny trip south last weekend, my mostly inside thoughts also appreciated our sunny trip south last weekend.

I think there were some things I was very good at as a single person. One was annoying roommates with my complaints about dishes in the sink. Another was watching all the shows on TLC and HGTV. And the third was driving by myself.

I think I still annoy my roommate with my complaints about dishes in the sink and I still try to watch as much TLC and HGTV as I can possibly squeeze in around Whale Wars and Tour de France coverage. However, I have been no good at driving by myself. The very lovely reason behind that is of course, that I have someone I always want to be around with me now. The only problem is, I've realized that a lot of my alone thinking time is wrapped up in driving by myself time.

I didn't get a car of my own until I was home from a mission at 22 and the freedom of it I still haven't ever gotten over. I love letting my mind wander in a car. I love the way you can be surrounded by sound in a car. I love being in a car long enough to listen to a favorite old album, or a brand new album, or a mix of songs. I think half the reason I love Cache Valley so much is because it's the perfect alone drive distance away.

But I don't drive to Logan or nearly anywhere alone anymore. And since Aaron and I have very different tastes when it comes to music and the enjoyment thereof, when we're together we listen to podcasts and the artists where our music overlaps.

So for the first time in a long time, on the way home from Escalante, with worn out bodies and bellies full of pizza, I ended up driving for a spell while Aaron slept on the back seat and Christina dozed in the front. I slowly turned up the volume for their sleeping ears to adjust and got back to a place I didn't realize I have missed so much...but plan on arranging to visit more often.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

It's nice to remember things that you miss and don't even realize it. With kids around all the time I miss my mid afternoon naps. Oh how I long for a day when I can nap in the afternoon without any interruptions! OK really how obsessed are you with Whale Wars? I am obsessed! Anna and I started watching it last year and we were so excited when the new season started up. I tell Chris all the time how I would so save the whales if I had a second life! I even have him hooked on it. Did you mention once that you watch Teen Mom? You and I could spend hours together with tivo.

Bebe McGooch said...

I so get this. I miss lonely car drives with my own music. My husband and I listen to podcasts together or classical music. No more screeching to Tori at the top of my solitary lungs in the car--maybe that's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

driving alone is my favorite. i especially love that cache valley drive.... the curve of Sardine Canyon when you see the whole valley in front of you? i miss it!