Tuesday, July 20, 2010

big sky

Aaron's summer internship doesn't allow for taking time off, so we have to pack A LOT of fun into weekends. Like driving 5 hours on a Friday afternoon to Escalante for a quick couple of days backpacking with Aaron's old roommates.

This was the trail we were going to do last year, but just ended up camping instead.

We hiked through rain,

and water,

and heat.

We learned that Native Americans began those family back window stickers.

We set up camp in this awesome alcove.

We ate s'mores.

We only had one first aid issue (besides blisters) and that was Christina sticking her hand directly upon a cactus.

We had Stacy's 14 year old nephew with us. I thought 14 year olds were the worst of teenage offenders, but this one was the world's most adorable kid. I'd have 12 boys if they'd all turn out like him (no I wouldn't).

On our way out we discovered we could have died!

But forgot all about that when we were reunited with soda!

Backpacking success!

4 comments:

Naomi said...

I've decided that it's worth the extra weight to carry at least one can of soda on a backpacking trip.

I think I may have a problem.

Mimi said...

Beautiful place to spend the weekend. I was thinking you guys drink lots of soda. I think it's a Utah thing. You have those 64 ouncer mugs that I have never seen anywhere else. I also noticed two very large sodas by Tasha's leg in the last picture of the previous post!

Ems said...

ha ha...we do drink a lot of soda for sure, but you never do the big Happy Hour drinks at Sonic? they are like a dollar and have real limes in them and are heavenly.

april said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend he weekend. Which trail is this? It looks gorgeous. Reminds me of the Narrows at Zion, even down to the alcove!