Tuesday, September 15, 2009

country road

For the first 18 years of my life I operated under the assumption that I was not athletic and therefore, unable to participate in any activity that gave off the appearance of sport. No throwing, no kicking, no sticks or rackets please because if it involved any part of my body needing to connect with a foreign object...well I was toast. And really awkward, undignified looking toast.

Then for some reason I gave running a try right after high school and though I was (am) slow, I could in fact, continue to put one foot in front of the other for a set amount of time without mishap...and even improve my endurance and speed over time. Plus, it didn't and doesn't cost me much of anything beyond shoes and race entry fees, so it has seemed like a manageable way to keep myself active. With a marathon and other lengths of distances behind me, I've wondered a time or two about the move to triathlons because I like to think of them as the baddest proof of athleticism possible without any hand-eye coordination involved. But the road bike part is what always stops me up because I am apparently terrible at saving enough money to buy one...and all the gear it requires. And you can't very well train for a bike race without a bike.

Last week though, I had the pleasure of babysitting a road bike while a friend has been in the moving process. With two brothers who have been long time cycling enthusiasts and Aaron spending the summer saving for and accumulating bicycle gear himself, it didn't take much to get talked into trying. So Aaron and I did about 20 miles on the Legacy Parkway last Monday and then we planned on meeting up with Logan and Kristen in Logan over the weekend for another ride.


I've mentioned a time or two before that Cache Valley is one of my favorite places on earth and riding 30 miles on those long, fielded roads out to the western mountains and back again just might have planted the cycling bug inside me.

I stayed about 40 feet behind the rest of them the whole ride despite my best efforts to keep their pace and I slept for 12 hours on Saturday night after the ride because I was so exhausted, so I've got lots of room for improvement. But I thing in the spring I'll get a bike and start practicing my own finish line victory arms.

7 comments:

Sra said...

Fun fun! I'm a cycling novice. I find it's easiest if you get all your gear bit by bit. I just got my first padded bike pants today. Now I nearly have everything, except I will need some gear for winter commuting. All that flat land looks so luxurious! It's very hilly in my neighborhood.

Katy and Mike said...

Yay!! So excited. Can we do your first triathlon together? I've promised Tasha swimming lessons, so let me know if you want in!

frances said...

you will love biking for your whole life? and you should think about doing the little red next summer. i am coming back for it, for sure.

Mimi said...

Way to go Emily. That's a heck of a long ride. I'm still trying to master running...I don't think I'll ever graduate to bikes. Aaron look so cute in his bike gear! Love when you post pictures of my little brother:)

Ems said...

frances, kristen and I actually talked about the little red while we were riding...that is kind of a goal; I'm very interested in riding with other women and not boys all the time.

and mimi...I think aaron looks cute in his cycling gear too!

k8 said...

what is this little red of which you speak?

Greg and Jayne said...

No Olympic athlete was more courageous or tough than you were in your first marathon.