Tuesday, May 4, 2010

bedshaped

I am in love with my bed. I love falling asleep in it. I love waking up in it. I miss it when I'm on vacation. I even occasionally chose it over social engagements because I just love it so much.

You see, five years ago I was moving into a new apartment bedroom with enough space for a bed bigger than the twin I'd had for years. My mom found this frame in a local consignment shop, painted brown and in desperate need of some work, and gave it to me as my first grown up sized bed. With a vision in my head I bought supplies and I sanded and sanded and I painted and painted. And to my surprise and delight, it turned out exactly as I had hoped. I loved the color, I loved the worn finish and I loved that I did it. And when the mattress and sheets and comforter were added, it felt incredibly satisfying to look at, and then sleep in, something I had so invested in making.

And I've loved our 5 years together since. It's been in 3 great apartments with me and the spot for countless late night roommate and friend conversations and sister sleepovers. It's where I want to nap after a long run, and where I want to retreat to after a crappy day, and where I want to unwind after a great party.

But this past weekend, my bed left me. It isn't big enough for Aaron and me both, and we are a move or two away from a home with space enough for a whole extra bed, so it will welcome visitors at Christopher and Tasha's house until then. And in the grand scheme of things to whine about, getting rid of a bed because I need a bigger one to share with a boy is not something that warrants any sympathy.

So I am not complaining. But on Saturday as I was washing sheet sets to send along with the bed I did think about how obviously it marks the end of something. Because really more than any other thing I own, our time together encompasses almost all of my really, really fun adult singleness and independence.

I mean, the great thing is that I am more in love with Aaron than I am with my bed, so it's a pretty easy trade out. But I'll still look forward to the day it maybe gets to live under the same roof as me again and I can occasionally curl up for a nap.

2 comments:

Damian said...

That's going to be a great guest bed.

Leah Stone said...

Did you know you are a fabulous writer and you are smokin hot in your wedding photos. Just thought I would say I love you!